Monday, March 8, 2010

Building in Secondlife

Being a gamer most of my life, when I first heard about Second Life I was intrigued. Unfortunately, the first time I tried it I was at a loss and had no one to show me the ropes of this huge online world. This time, however, I have been having a lot of fun in the world and have a basic understanding of how things work. I've met people and gone to some interesting places, both good and bad. But building was something I had no idea how to do.

Building in Second Life seemed overwhelming. I've seen amazing creations in the world, and couldn't imagine how it was created. Especially when it comes to drawing, that is not my forte. The building workshop in class was a big help. I was able to quickly learn the basics of how things are created in the game. I made a silly shape that swirled up, and put my calico cat skin on it then painted it red. I was pretty proud of this insanely useless creation.

For me, however, building seems to tedious. I feel like it's a good thing to know how to do, but I couldn't imagine sitting at my computer for hours trying to create something and make the textures for it. As far as Second Life goes, I'd rather go explore the world and meet new people then build. It would be nice to create some things I have wondering around in my head, but I don't have the patience.

I can say though, that so far this time around I am really enjoying Second Life, and hope to learn more about how the game works. Maybe one day I will start building. But for now I'll just wonder aimlessly until I come across something else in the world that looks fun and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment